- Despite DUI counts in Utah being between 12K-15K in the last decade, according to the Utah Legislature reports, alcohol-related DUIs in Utah seem to be slowly decreasing. But other types of DUIs may be on the rise.
- Utah has the lowest per capita DUI rate in the US, largely attributed to the high Mormon population, which discourages drinking alcohol.
- Even people who don’t drink (Mormons, the medically restricted, etc.) can get metabolite DUIs from drug impairment, including prescription medications.
- The government isn’t reporting arrests to churches, employers, DOPL, etc., but criminal arrests are public information. Many websites and newspapers publish arrest information, including unflattering mug shots, names, and charges.
- News of an arrested, especially of a professional, could not only be embarrassing, but could damage someone’s career, status in the community, and/or personal life.